Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Behind the Scenes: Colin Firth shoot

I was very fortunate last month to get the chance to shoot the Hollywood actor Colin Firth for Time Out London. The piece is in fact in this weeks edition, on the shelves now. And as a nice little present to you all I shot a behind the scenes video of the shoot to show you how it was done. Special thanks to Ben and Alastair for all their help on the day.

LIGHTING INFO
Basically I new we didn't have much time with the man himself and so I made the lighting pretty simple - just two softboxes either side and close so that the light would fall off pretty quickly behind him and thus not making it look too flat. It also meant it didn't matter which way he turned or moved - the light was always going to be right on him. The backdrop was a safety precaution - I'd assumed we be in a hotel room, as it happened we were in a conference room in the basement - I would have been mightly miffed therefore if I hadn't brought the backdrop.


9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Always good to see how fellow shooters approach a shoot, ta!

Pierre said...

Nice video. What background stand are you using? Seems to be quite portable, I've been looking for something like that for a while,

Pierre said...

Forgot to say: I really like the picture where he puts his hand to the mouth. Great work!

Anonymous said...

Gotta love behind the scenes looks at shoots. Thanks for this!

Also, what's the name of that song?

Greg Funnell said...

Pierre - The background is a calumet 135cm background.

Pylmer - The song is by Chris Club and you can see more on their myspace page: www.myspace.com/chrisclubclub

Anonymous said...

Great shots and great video !
Just a question : How did you tint the background ?

Anonymous said...

I can't find their song on their myspace page - really love that song :( I'll so buy their album if they release one!

Anonymous said...

great stuff greg.
love the video and the final image.
i shoot in bangalore fore the time out here.

Anonymous said...

great stuff greg.
love the video and the final image.
i shoot in bangalore fore the time out here.